Monday, September 24, 2012

Best Reads: Mist Born

Yes, I sometimes read books too, So dont look too bemused by the title! This blogpost here wont be a review about a book I just read, I am apparently not qualified enough for it! It will just be my experience with Fantasy books and the MistBorn series!
 As said earlier Mist Born series is a fantasy novel series written by Brandon Sanderson, dont feel bad if you didnt know it before. I wouldn't have known about it before if not for that guy! I will come back later about that guy. I used to be a good enough reader during my childhood. Even then Fantasy books have never been my choice, except for maybe some books!
 Mist Born is my fourth fantasy series, If you exclude the 30 pages of Twilight I read! I know, I am not proud of it, at least I had enough sense to stop reading after 30 pages. So it doesn't count, again IT DOESN'T COUNT!!
I started my Fantasy novel reading life with the most famous Fantasy series of all time. HARRY POTTER! When my sister narrated the story of Harry Potter "Little did I know"(Dramatic Irony) that HP is going to be one of my all time favorite books!!
The best thing about Harry Potter is that the series matured with every book. In the first book you get three headed dogs, life size chess board and even a small fire spitting dragon. In the second book you get Basilsk the snake. Earlier books were written like it should amuse an early teenager more, even though others could enjoy the book. And as the series matured in book 5 (Order of the Phoenix) story was told from an annoying middle teenager's point of view and the latter books were pretty much matured books. Harry Potter is the kind of a book which you could say that you grew up with that book.
And it can be easily related with us normal readers. Unlike Lord of the Rings or the other books where the story will happen in a world which is completely alien to us. But Harry Potter was different, even though it was a fantasy book we can actually relate Harry, Ron and Hermione with our lives. There wouldn't be a single HP reader who didn't fantacize about Hogwarts or getting the letter from an Owl.
I started to write about Mist Born and here I am writing about Harry Potter, but seriously I dont think anyone could write about a Fantasy novel without talking about HP.
My second fantasy book was Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. I have always loved Greek and Roman mythologies and history from my childhood. If someone is writing about those gods in a fantasy series, it is a sin if I didnt read that series. Percy Jackson series is about What if Greek Gods are still living and living in the Empire States of America. It is kind of childish like the "first part of HP series - JK Rowling" ! It is very much similar to HP in characterizations too, Chosen one, one girl and a funny boy will go on adventures! Only differnce is here the girl will fall for the chosen one not to the funny guy. (Which is kind of close to reality) . Nevertheless Percy Jackson is a good fantasy series.
Third series is Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan (yes, that same Percy Jackson Rick). I had just returned from my Egypt trip then, and If Rick has written another book on Egyptian gods, Why miss it? But just read only the first book of that series.
And again THAT BOOK DOESN'T COUNT!!
Which brings us to Mist Born series!
It was a dark time in my reading career, Movies and TV series's have consumed me fully. Well Even now 9 out of 10 times I would choose "How I Met Your Mother" over Mist Born without thinking, 10 th time I would think for a while and will choose How I met Your Mother!!
  And Kantheepan my friend came as the chosen one to save me from that darkness. He is like the biggest Fantasy nut you could ever meet, and he didnt have anyone to talk about the books he read, he didnt have anyone to listen his blabbering about those books. And I was the easy target. He literally forced me to read some of the fantasy novels he read. He started with the Wheel Of Time series (Which contains 14 books). And then he tried to make me read the Mist Born series, But I was strong! I just said only way I am going to know those stories is if they make a movie out of it.
Then he did a shrewd thing and bought the Mist Born book and gifted it to my sister for her graduation. And I didnt have any choice but to read it.

When he gave me the book he said that this book is very similar to Ocean's 11 movie, though I couldnt find any similarities between Ocean's 11 and Mist Born.
Synopsis of the book : A famous thief is recruiting some other thieves to his crew to pull off the biggest heist of all time. He wants to avenge for his wife, He wants to rob the Dark Lord and topple his government.(Come to think of it, it is similar to Ocean's 11) He joins hand with a 16 year old girl Powerful thief to pull off his heist.

You might think the protagonist of the book is that famous thief, but it is that 16 year old girl. Whole story revolves around her. As you all know in all of my previous books had Heroes not Heroines! Not that it is bothering me, but it was different for me. (Believe me, I am no Sexist)
KELSIER, he is that aforementioned famous thief. He is one of the very few light hearted characters of Mist Born. He is a Mist Born (People who have some special powers, read and find out).
VIN, She is the heroine of the book. For the first few hundred pages my take on her was "BITCH". Remember how Harry used to be in The Order of the Phoenix, she was even worse than that. I am not calling her Bitch have nothing to do with me being a sexist (Which I am not). But author himself wanted to make that kind of impression about her early. She never trusts other people, to the extent she will not even drink the drinks mixed by others. One of the main point of the novel is Trust. So her characterization was important to the novel. (See, I am not a sexist) But in the latter part of the novel she was more tolerable.
LORD RULER, he is the villain of the story! Supposedly immortal and the king and the god of Final Empire. There are 2 kinds of people under his reign, Noble men and Skaa. Simply saying Skaa are the slaves of Noble men. Vin and Kelsier are from Skaa and they wanted to topple Lord Ruler and wanted to bring balance between Skaa and Noble Men.
Elend : Noble man, Vin's romantic interest.
So Now that you have basic outline about the story and characters, let me discuss it in detail.
Unlike other fantasy books which target teenagers where you get minimum twists in the tale, in this book Mist Born, you get more than enough twists. Which is what I expect in books (Hey, I am not a teenager anymore!!).
If you are that person who posts those philosophies and life quotes on FB, this novel is for you! Whole novel is full of lovely quotes and phiolsophies. It is a common occurence in all fantasy books and Super Hero movies, you will get life quotes on every other page. But even I would say most of the quotes are actually quotable. Writing is witty and funny on occasions, but it could've been more funnier though.
One thing I dont want is our leadership reading this book, I dont want them to get ideas from Lord Ruler on Skaa oppressions!
Magic system in the Mist Born world is bit complicated compared to the Harry Potters magic system (Where you take a stick and shout some funny words for magic). It was detailed but alien to me. And unlike Harry Potter it doesnt mature with the books, Vin is already 16 and she is matured, which is cool for me.
When I started reading I was skeptical about the book and that might have played a part in me not liking the writing in the first part of the book.But writing drastically improved (or rather I got accustomed to it).
All in all, as I said earlier I was bit skeptical and slow at the beginning of the book, but went through the book real fast at the latter stages. If you can get through the first 50 pages you are in for a treat.

Note to Self : Do not get fooled by Kantheepan again and make a pact to yourself that you will never read Wheel of Time! And Go watch How I Met Your Mother, new season is starting today!!

1 comment:

  1. nice aniclimax,after all the fantasy go watch HIMYM

    ReplyDelete