Friday, June 1, 2012

The story of a Budding Civil Engineer.


Why I am going to follow Civil engineering in University of Moratuwa?
  Of course, that is the highest course I could get into with the marks I got (Of course, Could have done electrical engineering ). So frankly speaking, I didnt choose civil engineering, our university chose it for me.
 But even If I had got better results for the exam, I wouldve chosen civil engineering over any other engineering ( You may think that I am saying this because I didnt get into anyother departments, in which case your thought is wrong) . Even from the days when I was doing my A/L s becoming a civil engineer has been my decision.
  Main reason for that was, Of course my family. My father and my sister, both are civil engineers. So it is safe to say that civil engineering runs in my blood (Never misses a chance to show off!!). So both of them always talk very highly about civil engineering at home (Note the word 'So'). So from my childhood itself, civil engineering has left a deep imprint in my mind.

  As I said earlier my father is also a civil engineer, and in the early part of his career he used to work a lot in the hill country. So when we used to go to the hill country he would show some of the roads and bridges and would say I am the one who built this bridge or I am the one who constructed this road.
 Once Myself and 2 of my friends were going to the Randenigela in my father's car. My father showed the road we were travelling on and said that he is the one who constructed that road (And we are still using that road after 25 years, Is it because my father did a great job with the road or is it because our government doesnt want to waste their money on stupid things like roads) . And I gave that "Dudes you guys are travelling on the road my father constructed, Without this road you guys would have to hike your way to Randenigela" look to my friends.
 Being able to say that I am the one who built that building or I am the one who built that bridge to your children or your grand children is priceless. You dont get those priceless moments in those other departments ( Just imagine you saying the following to your children, You know that company X (Actually you dont know that company, It is a stupid company from US), the software they use for billing was developed by me (Just listen to it and you will see how crappy that was)).
 My sister said me that her professor once said to her class "If you wanna be rich do Electronics, but if you wanna be super rich do Civil. (Of course, He said that because he is a civil engineering professor). But still in our country most of the rich people attained their position through Civil engineering.

I may get more salary as a software engineer than what I would get as a civil engineer. Money does not bring happiness, But make sure you earn sufficient money before talking shit like that. Money is an important factor for happiness. But at the same time Money is not 'the' factor of happiness.

I cant work sitting in front of a computer for 30 years writing some stupid codes ( I prefer when someone else does it for me). I love travelling to new places, I love socializing with new people and I hate coding. I accept that I have studied only the basics of programming in my first semester and the first impression it left on me isn't that great. I am not saying that being a programmer is a bad career, only it is just not for me.

So I wanted to become a civil engineer. And my father and sister didnt have any problem with that. But my mother wanted me to be an electronic engineer ( I can hear you people laughing, reading this). Like all mothers, my mother also wanted me to do the course in most demand. And like all the other mothers she tends to overestimate her son. And isn't that what mothers are supposed to do, overestimating their children and not thinking rationally.
But I always knew that i wont be in that situation where I have to convince her about Civil engineering!! (If you dont get this, read further).

So I wanted to become a civil engineer.
  But there is a saying in english
     " You dont get what you want,
          But what you deserve"
This is originally a saying about relationships ( Actually I dont want this quote to be applied to my relationship life ( I want what I want, I dont want what I deserve) ) , But it could be applied here also.

In UOM, wanting to do a course itself is not enough to do that course. They would held an examafter the first semester, and they would divide you based on your performance. So wanting to do civil engineering is not enough, You have to get the marks also. You have to get more marks for the course in most demand (which in our case is Electronic engineering) . Electronic engineering always comes first in demand with Computer, Electrical, Civil engineering to follow. (This is the reason Why I dont have to convince my amma).

And with the marks I got Electrical engineering is the highest course I could get into.
Why I didnt get enough marks : I am intelligent enough but I didn't study hard (As though you guys stopped me while studying) will be my reason ( Isn't that the reason, every one says after not doing well in an exam, this way we could justify the marks without compromising our intelligence level. Why is it so hard to admit that we are not good enough) >

Now you could see why I waited this long to publish this article. I was waiting for them to release the results, So I can be sure about the course. ;) ;)

This is the story how a budding Civil engineer became a budding Civil engineer.

11 comments:

  1. Are you also a Civil engineer acca??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sutharman, I agree with your feelings.

    Kumaran Uncle. Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  3. good one although I cannot agree with you all the things you've pointed out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks man!!
      and What are the contradictions you have with my blog!!
      and may I know your name??

      Delete
  4. Excellent. Your article makes me proud to be a Civil Engineering Student, but i still like electronics. Can u give more personnel advice to me. Your JOGAPRAJAHPAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no expert in Civil Engineering and I am not the correct person to give advice as I would be really biased towards Civil!!!
      Civil Engineering is always safe choice, you will get the job easily, Salary wont be that bad (Wont be that good either) and most of all you could enjoy the next 4 years in UNI!! Cheers!! No need to worry!!

      Delete